Water damages can happen almost anywhere and everywhere. It is not confined to certain geographical regions, race, or economic class. This is not to scare you away but is like establishing the ground facts. The only thing that can make any difference is your level of preparation.
If your house is protected against water damages, you can rest assured. The best way to protect your household against extensive and expensive water damages is to keep up with the plumbing. Despite all your efforts, you cannot bring the chances of water damage to zero.
In case a household is flooded, the homeowners should be aware of the steps they should take.
What To Do In Case Of Water Damages
- The most important step of water damage restoration is not to lose your calm. It is time to be vigilant and swift but not to panic.
- If your house is flooded with river water or heavy rainstorms, take a look around your neighborhood. Protect yourself and your loved ones. Contact the emergency services and get yourself rescued.
- When the water leakage is due to a plumbing failure, you can control the situation rather easily. This does not hold for septic tank leakage. It is a serious situation and should be dealt with like that.
- In case clean water is flooding your house, think about the main water supply of your home. Is there a main valve that can be used to stop the flow of water in the house? If yes, get to it safely and close it. If you are unable to reach there, it is best to call restoration there and then.
- It is preferred to switch off the main power supply to minimize the risk of electrocution or short circuits.
- While the professionals are reaching your home, you have to take care of a few things. Take pictures and record short videos to record the condition of your house. These visual records can be very helpful in filing insurance claims.
- Remove as many valuables from water as you can.
Tips On Hiring The Best Water Restoration Companies
Hiring a water damage restoration company is a reliable solution. But beware of the scams. They exploit the fear of homeowners and scam the people already suffering from distress. Here are some tips to find a reliable restoration company.
- It is highly recommended to keep the contact details of the company at a safe and accessible place at all times. You never know when you will need them.
- Tap into your network for reliable company names. Think about any of your friends, family members, or neighbors who recently dealt with water damages. They can tell you a lot about local service providers.
- If you can’t seem to get some references from your network it is time to turn to the internet. Search for the top companies in your area. Online business directories can be very useful at such time. They have all the necessary credentials for quick connections. Don’t forget to read the reviews and ratings left by previous customers.
- Be sure about the legal compliance of the company before you let them in. Ask for proofs of license and insurance. Scammer often renders these important documents unnecessary.
- It is important to know that not all companies can handle every kind of restoration. Be as specific about your needs as you can.
- Request estimates from different companies to find a good deal.
What To Expect From Water Damage Restoration Professionals
A homeowner should know what to expect from water damage restoration professionals. It will help you supervise the process and request any changes in the strategy if you feel the need to do so. Each company has a unique protocol but the main steps are almost the same.
Assessment Of Water Category
The professionals assess the situation before they provide you cost estimates. The cost of restoration depends on the size of the damaged area, water category, and the expertise of professionals. The water category is the most important factor as it can increase the cost by thousands of dollars. The national average value for dealing with black water damages is about $8000. Clean water removal is easy and costs a lot less. It can be as low as $1000.
Extraction Of Water
After the assessment is complete and you have settled on a price, the next step is water extraction. Professionals use heavy-duty pumps to remove the access water.
Water removal is not enough for safe living conditions. The area needs to be properly dried up using dehumidifiers and fans. It can take a few days.
Structural Repair Work
Most of the water damage restoration companies also offer structural repair work. The professionals are trained to take care of the repairs and prevent mold growth.